How To Prepare Avial.
This dish takes around thirty minutes to prepare .Ten minutes for chopping and another twenty minutes for cooking the vegetables.
Ingredients for Avial
- French beans - 6 or 7
- Carrots - 2 medium sized
- Ash gourd ( Pumpkin )- small piece ( say 6 or 7 pieces after chopping )
- Green peas - 1/4 cup
- Potato - 1
- Drum stick -1 stick ( optional )
- Coconut scrapings - 1/2 cup.
- Green chillies - 4 - 5.
- Curry leaves - a few
- Jeera / cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - a few strings.
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsp.
- Asafoetida - A small Pinch
- Salt - as required.
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp.
- Curds - 1/2 cup.
- For tadka / seasoning 1 broken red chillie, mustard seeds -1 tsp, urad dal (black gram ) - 1 tsp.
Method To Make Avial
- First and foremost, wash all the vegetables thoroughly and chop it into medium sized pieces.
- Now, take a big vessel and put all these chopped vegetables into it.
- Add half cup of water, salt as required, turmeric powder and little curry leaves into it.
- Leave it to boil till the vegetables turn tender.
- In the mean time, take a mixer jar, add one tsp of jeera / cumin seeds, two green chillies and curds.
- Run the mixer to a smooth paste.
- Now, when the vegetables are done, add the ground Masala paste into it.
- Stir it well.
- Now, heat a small pan for tadka / seasoning.
- Add coconut oil, broken red chilli, urad / black gram, mustard seeds, curry leaves and jeera / cumin seeds into it.
- When it splutters, transfer it to the boiling vegetable mixture.
- Finally, add asafoetida and coriander leaves to garnish the dish.
Your spicy avial is ready to be eaten along with hot rice.!!!
Kitchen Masti Points
- Instead of coconut oil, you can also use any other refined oil also.
- Instead of grinding the curds along with the coconut mixture, you can just add it at the end.
- Use of Drumstick is optional.
- As far as possible, use only fresh coconut scrapings.