The below Rasam recipe that I have shown you is very famous in Udupi Krishna Mutt.
How To Make Tomato Saar / Tomato Rasam.
This rasam requires around half an hour to prepare and serves around four adults.
Ingredients For Tomato Rasam / Sar
- Pigeon pea / toor dal - half cup
- Tomato - 2 medium sized
- Green chillies - 2
- Salt - as per desire
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Coriander leaves - one small bunch
Method To Prepare The Rasam Masala powder ( Saarina Pudi )
- Red chilli / byadige chillies - 6
- Coriander seeds ( Dhaniya ) - 3 tsp
- Jeera ( cumin seeds ) - 2 tsp
- Methi ( fenugreek seeds ) - one tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Asafoetida - small pinch
- Coconut scrapings - 2 tsp
- Coconut oil - 2 tsps
- For tadka / seasoning - one broken red chilli, one tsp urad dal / black gram, mustard seeds one tsp, a few curry leaves and coconut oil one tbsp.
Method To Prepare Tomato Rasam / Saar
- First and foremost, wash the toor dal thoroughly and soak it in two cups of water along with one drop of oil for fifteen minutes.
- Now, take a cooker and add the soaked toor dal in it and let it boil until four whistles.
- When cooled, open the cooker lid and smash the tomatoes and toor dal with the ladle.
- Now, take another vessel, add two cups of water and let it boil.
- Add slit green chillies and tamarind juice ( soak the tamarind in the water for five minutes and squeeze the fiber portion out. Remove the fiber from it and the remaining liquid is nothing but the tamarind juice itself )
- In the mean time, heat a pan.
- Add coconut oil and fry the masala powder ingredients till it turns slight brown in color.
- Powder it in a mixer jar after it gets cooled
- Now, when the water starts boiling in the vessel, add the smashed dal and tomato mixture in it.
- Add the masala powder and salt into it after some time.
- Leave it to boil for around five to ten minutes.
- Add asafoetida and chopped coriander leaves into it.
- Switch off the flame.
- Finally heat another small pan for tadka / seasoning.
- Add coconut oil, urad dal ( Black Gram ), mustard seeds, broken red chilli and curry leaves into the pan.
- Transfer the tadka into the tomato rasam mixture when it starts spluttering
Your yummy and spicy Tomato Rasam / Sar is ready to be served.!!!
Kitchen Masti Points
- This Rasam will taste very delicious with hot boiled rice.
- For a better taste, add a tsp of ghee while eating this rasam
- You can prepare another variety of rasam by using the same rasam powder and by omitting the dal.