Halasinakayi huli or sambar is a seasonal curry which can be eaten along with the rice and I can assure you that it could be a pretty sumptuous meal. As I have already mentioned, it is a seasonal vegetable and therefore it is available only during summer season. Jackfruit can be used as a vegetable when it is raw, and as a fruit when it turns ripe. Numerous delicacies can be prepared using raw jackfruit such as sambar ,sauteed jackfruit and you can also prepare the chips which is quite famous. The raw jackfruit is rich in fibre and surprisingly you can use the seed alone and prepare many dishes out of it. Here, in this sambar or huli, I have used the seeds too, so this jackfruit sambhar is very rich in protein and fiber and in short, this is a healthy jackfruit seed sambar.Tags: Dinner Recipe, Lunch Recipe, Mangalorean Cuisine, South Indian, South Indian Curry, Udupi Recipes
How To Prepare Jackfruit Sambar / Gujje Huli / Halasina kayi Huli.
The time taken to prepare this halasinakai seed sambar ( kujje huli ) is around 40 minutes and the ingredients mentioned here is enough for 4 servings.
Ingredients For Halasina kai Huli.
- Small sized Jackfruit - 1.
- Coconut scrapings - 1 cup.
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp.
- Jeera seeds ( cumin seeds ) - 1 / 4 tsp.
- Red chillis ( byadige chillis ) -7.
- Green chillis - 4.
- Tamarind - gooseberry sized.
- Salt -as required.
- Coriander leaves - 5 sprigs.
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp.
For The Seasoning
- Byadige chilli - 1.
- Black gram dal ( urad dal ) - 1 tsp.
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves -1 string.
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsp.
Method To Make Halasina Kayi Sambar.
- Smear coconut oil on the knife and on your hands lavishly.
- Now cut the jackfruit into two halves at the centre with the knife.
- Take one half of the jackfruit and once again chop the jackfruit at the centre into two pieces.
- Scrap the outer layer of the jackfruit.
- Remove the stalk at the center of each piece.
- Now chop the jackfruit into biteable sized pieces.
- Transfer the chopped pieces into the pressure cooker.
- Add turmeric powder and 2 cups of water into the pressure cooker and allow it to boil until 2 whistles.
- Meanwhile, take a mixer jar and add the coconut scrapings, coriander seeds, jeera seeds, tamarind, salt, half cup of water and green chillis into it.
- Run the mixer until the ingredients are fully blended into a smooth paste.
- Now, take a big vessel.
- Transfer the boiled jackfruit pieces into it.
- Add the ground paste into the vessel and mix it properly.
- Now, boil it the sambhar for about 5 - 6 minutes until bubbles appear.
- Heat another small pan with coconut oil in it.
- Add broken byadige chilli, urad dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves into it.
- When the seasoning start to crackle, transfer it into the boiling sambhar and mix them.
- Finally, add chopped coriander leaves.
Your sumptuous and fibrous halasinakai huli is ready to be served. !!!!!
- Since the jackfruit contains excess gum, it is obvious that your hands may get sticky and it may be cumbersome to remove it. Hence, to prevent this hassle, smear coconut oil lavishly on your hands.
- You may add one tbsp of jaggery for a sweet taste but I have not used here.
- Coconut oil gives the best result and makes the curry awesome.
- If you find the sambhar too thick, you can dilute it with little water.