Green beans also called as French beans or snap beans is very famous all over Asia. In India, it is used in a variety of dishes like veg pulav, in curries and gravies, and also in many snacks. Beans contains lots of fibers which in return acts as a laxative. It is rich in vitamin A, B and C. Hence, by using it frequently, you can achieve the maximum advantage. Here is a recipe for beans sambar in complete mangalorean style.Tags: Dinner Recipe, Lunch Recipe, Mangalorean Cuisine, South Indian, South Indian Curry
How To Prepare Beans Sambar.This curry requires around 20 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes for cooking.
Ingredients For Beans Sambar.
- French Beans - 10
- Toor Dal ( pigeon pea) - 1/2 cup.
- Coconut scrapings - 2 tbsp.
- Red chillies - 4.
- Coriander seeds ( Dhania ) - 2 tsp.
- Jeera seeds ( cumin seeds ) - 1/2 tsp.
- Urad dal ( black gram ) - 1/4 tsp.
- Curry leaves - 2 strings.
- Oil - 2 tsp.
- Salt - as required.
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Tamarind - small goose berry sized.
- Jaggery -1 tsp.
- Broken red chilli - 1
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp.
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
- Oil - 2 tsp.
- Curry leaves - As per Requirement
Method To Make Beans Sambar ( huli).
- Wash the dal thoroughly and boil it in pressure cooker until three whistles.
- Heat a pan with 2 tsp of oil in it. When heated add red chilli and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, Urad dal, curry leaves and finally coconut scrapings into it.
- Fry for 2 minutes and switch off the flame. Cool it and then grind it in a mixer jar by adding 1/2 cup of water until the mixture is blended into a smooth paste.
- Chop the beans into pieces of around 1 inch size.
- Now heat a vessel with 1 cup of water in it.
- Transfer the chopped beans into it.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, and tamarind juice in it.
- Boil till the beans turns tender.
- Add the boiled dal and grounded items into it. Leave it to boil for around five minutes.
- Finally prepare the tadka - seasoning.
- Heat a small pan with oil in it. Add broken red chilli, Urad Dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves in it. When it starts to splutter, transfer it to the sambar vessel.
Your beans sambar is ready to be served.!!!
Kitchen Masti Points.
- Instead of adding tamarind juice, you can mix it while grinding the Masala items.
- Tadka is optional.
- If you prefer a spicier sambar, you can also add a couple of slit green chillies.
- Coconut Oil can be used while seasoning if you desire.
- Green Peas can also be added to this sambar