Vermicelli Upma is a simple breakfast recipe.Its similar to Rava Upma which I have already written previously, but a change of taste.Children would love it since it looks colorful with different colored vegetables..Its also a healthy breakfast, rich in fiber and a feast for food lovers.
Vermicelli Upma has an edge or an advantage over its counter part Rava Upma. This type of upma does not require the quantities of oil as in case of rava upma. Diabetic Patients can sumptuously eat this as breakfast as it has very low glycemic index value. Its very low in calories. It also adds a lot of nutritional value to your diet. It makes an ideal tiffin box stuff too.
How To Prepare Vermicelli UpmaThis type of upma takes somewhere around 30 minutes to make and with the below ingredients , you can ideally serve to 2 adults
Ingredients For Vermicelli Upma Recipe
- Vermicelli - 1 cup
- Oil - 5 - 6 tsp
- Urad Dal ( Black Gram ) - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Red Chilli ( Byadige ) - 1 (Broken into pieces)
- Onions - 2 (small size)
- Green Chilli - 3 or 4
- Curry Leaves - Few
- Salt - As per taste
- Carrot - 1 ( chopped into pieces)
- Capsicum - 1 small size
- Green Peas - 1/4 cup
- Coriander Leaves - 4 strings
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger - quarter inch
- Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
How To Make Vermicelli Upma
- First and foremost, roast vermicelli in a heated pan with 1 tbsp of oil in it.
- Boil 3 to 4 glasses of water in a vessel.
- When it starts boiling, add 1 drop of oil and add roasted vermicelli .
- When it slightly starts swelling and gets just boiled, switch off the gas stove.
- Sieve the vermicelli along with water and place it under the running water so that the vermicelli does not stick to one another.
- Now heat a pan.
- Add 3 to 4 table spoon of oil.
- Add Turmeric powder.
- Add seasonings, red chilli, urad dal ( black gram ), mustard seeds , curry leaves, chopped onion, ginger and green chillis in to it.
- Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the vegetables which are chopped into pieces and fry for around 5 minutes.
- Now Add salt.
- Add boiled vermicelli and lemon juice.
- Mix it properly and decorate it with coriander leaves.
Your Vermicelli Upma is now ready to be served. !!!
Kitchen Masti Points
- Be careful while boiling vermicelli. See to it that it does not turn sticky
- You can also add coconut scrapings for a different flavor.
- If desired, add 1 tsp of sugar while serving the vermicelli
- An alternate method to prepare vermicelli upma is to boil 1 1/2 cup of water and add directly to roasted vermicelli pan. Boil the mixture for not more than two minutes.