How to Prepare Hirekayi / Ridge Gourd ChutneyThis recipe does not take up much of your time. It just takes around 20 minutes to prepare.
With the below ingredients you can ideally serve it to around 6 people
Ridge gourd / Hirekayi Chutney Ingredients
- Hirekayi / Ridge gourd - 1
- Coconut Scrapings - 1/4 cup
- Red chilli ( Byadige Chilli) - 4
- Green Chilli - 2
- Tamarind - Small marble sized ball
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - A small pinch
- Curry leaves - 1 Strand
- Coriander Leaves - 2 Strings
- Urad deal - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds. - 1 tap
- Oil. 3 tap
Method to Make Ridge gourd / Hirekayi Chutney
- First and foremost , wash the ridge gourd thoroughly
- Scrap the ridges and the skin of the vegetable
- Chop the vegetable into small pieces
- Heat a pan, and then add oil into it
- Add 1 tsp urad dal, 3 Red Chillies, curry leaves and the vegetables in to it
- Fry it in the oil for around 5 - 6 minutes till the vegetable is cooked properly.
- Once the fried item cools, add asafoetida and green chilli in to it
- Take a mixer jar and add the fried items in to it
- Also, add the coconut scrapings , salt, tamarind, coriander leaves and a little bit of water
- Run the mixer till the ingredients are smoothly blended to a form of coarse paste
- Heat another small pan for tadka (seasoning)
- Add 1 tsp of oil, 1 broken red chilli, urad dal (black gram), mustard seeds and curry leaves in to it.
- When it starts spluttering transfer it to the chutney bowl
Kitchen Masti Points
- See to it that before preparing this chutney, taste the ridge gourd a bit, since there are chances that the vegetable you are about to use might be sour sometimes.