There are two varieties of Neer dosa, first one is which I am going to tell you. However, another one is called Kori Rotti where usually they dry this neer dosa batter and consume it along with chicken. Since this is a vegetarian blog, I am going to concentrate only on the Vegetarian Recipe.
This is a dish that I learnt from my mother. So, all credit goes out to her
How To Prepare Neer Dosa
Neer Dosa Recipe Ingredients
- Raw Rice - 1 cup
- Coconut Scrapings - optional (may be around 2 - 3 tsbp
- Water - 1 1/2 cup
- Ghee or Butter
Method To Prepare Neer Dosa
- Firstly, soak the rice for about 3 - 4 hours.
- Grind it in the grinder along with the coconut scrapings.
- Add water and salt. to the batter.
- Heat the tawa pan and add 1 tsp of oil. Spread the oil on the tawa.
- Unlike other Dosa , you should not spread the batter in a circular position, but you will have to just spill the batter in the dosa form on the tawa.
- Close the lid.
- Let it stay for around 2 minutes.
- Remove it from the tawa and fold it like a kerchief.
- Serve it along with Coconut chutney, or onion chutney or Coconut mixed jaggery ( Kayi Bella) and a spoon of Ghee or butter.
Kitchen Masti Points
- As the name itself indicates Neeru Dosa, the batter consistency should be very watery.
- If you add warm water the dosas will come out very soft.
- It would be wise if you do not use Dosa Rice, instead use the normal rice which you cook to eat.
- For Kayi Bella ( i,e Coconut mixed Jaggery) - Mix coconut scrapings - 1 cup, 1/2 cup jaggery and a pinch of salt and mix it well. Children will love this very much.
- This dish goes very well with the chicken gravy too.
- This dosa can also be consumed with mango rasayanam which is popular usually in udupi districts.
- Nowadays ,it is easily available in all restaurants. However, they do not use coconut scrapings.
- Out of this same batter, you can also prepare small dosas and steam it, later on dry it in the sun. This will turn out like a papad. You can fry this papad, add little chilli flakes over it. This will turn out to be a very delicious evening snack