How To Prepare Beetroot Curry / Sambar - Type 1
This curry takes somewhere around 40 minutes to prepare. The ingredients mentioned below is ideally enough to serve 3 people at one time.
The above photo is of Beetroot Curry - Type 1
Beetroot Curry Ingredients
- Beetroot - 1/2 kg
- Toor Deal / Yellow Pigeon Pea - 1/4 cup
- Coconut Scrapings - 2 tbsp
- Red Chillies ( byadige ) - 5
- Urad Dal ( Black Gram ) - 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds ( Dhania ) - 2 tsp
- Jeera ( cumin seeds ) - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - A Few
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - As per your desire
- Tamarind - 1 gooseberry sized ball
Method To Make Beetroot Curry / Sambar / Rasam
- Soak Toor Dal in water for around 10 minutes.
- In the mean time, peel the outer layer of the beetroot and chop it in to medium sized cubes
- Take a pan and add oil , and then add red chillies , urad dal , coriander seeds , jeera seeds and finally coconut scrapings
- Now, fry it for around 1 minute.
- Switch off the flame and add curry leaves
- Mix everything properly and let it cool.
- Now, take a cooker and fill it up with toor dal, beetroot , 1/2 tsp of oil along with 2 cups of water.
- After three whistles of the cooker, switch off the flame.
- After a few minutes, when it is possible to open the cooker lid, transfer it to another vessel
- Now, grind the fried items along with water in a mixer jar
- Mix these grounded items along with the dal and beetroot mixture.
- Add salt and let it boil for another 5 - 6 minutes so that it gets mixed thoroughly
- In another small pan, add 1/2 tsp of oil ,1 broken red chilli, 1/2 tsp urad dal , 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and a few curry leaves.
- Let it splutter and then transfer this seasoning / tadka in to the beetroot mixture vessel.
Now, your beetroot curry / sambar / rasam is ready to be served.!!!
Kitchen Masti Points
- After boiling the toor dal, smash it with the ladle so that it forms a paste
- You can increase the amount of coconut scrapings and decrease the amount of toor dal if you prefer the coconut taste more.
- You can also alter the spiciness by increasing the amount of green chillies
How To Prepare Beetroot Curry / Sambar / Rasam - Type 2
This is another variety of curry takes only about twenty minutes to prepare but tastes very spicy. And it serves two people.
Ingredients For Beetroot Curry - Type 2
- Beetroot - 1 big sized
- Onion - 2
- Green chillies - 4
- Garlic cloves - 5
- Salt - as per your wish
- Tamarind - one gooseberry sized ball
- For tadka / seasoning - one red chilli ( byadige chilli ), 1/2 tsp urad / black gram dal, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, oil and a few curry leaves
- Corn flour - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 to 3 strings
Method To Make Spicy Beetroot Curry - Type 2
- First and foremost, Peel the skin of the beetroot and chop it onto very small and tiny pieces.
- Take the chopped beetroot pieces in a vessel.
- Add water till it covers the beetroot and add salt.
- Leave it to boil for around fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Chop the onions and green chillies into small pieces and add it to the vessel containing beetroot pieces.
- In the mean time, prepare the tadka by heating a small pan with two tsp of oil in it.
- Add chopped garlic pieces, broken red chilli, urad dal / black gram, onions, mustard seeds and curry leaves in to it.
- Transfer this tadka in to the vessel containing beetroot.
- Now, mix corn flour with water in a small bowl to make a paste and add this into the beetroot mixture.
- Let it simmer for two minutes and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Your spicy beetroot curry is ready to be served.!!!
Kitchen Masti Points
- See to it that that you mix the corn flour with water first and only then add it to the beetroot mixture or else, lumps will be formed if you add directly.
- This curry tastes best when you add coconut oil for the tadka.
- You can omit garlic if you wish.
- You can add onions to the tadka also.